I usually just mix in whatever I have on hand for this toasted muesli. It's easy to make. Tastes delicious. And it's amazing sprinkled onto cereal, yoghurt or just eaten as a snack. I have used some Wild Orange food grade essential oils which give this muesli a citrus kick! Next time, I'll be adding in the zest of half an orange too!!
What You Need
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups coconut flakes (I used Macro Organic Coconut Flakes from Woolies)
- 1 cup of mixed nuts and seeds -- I used sunflower seeds, chia seeds, chopped almonds and pepitas.
- 1/3 cup of sultanas + currants
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs rice malt syrup or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 4-6 drops Wild Orange Essential Oil (I choose doTERRA)
- zest from half an orange (optional)
Let's get this muesli made
Line an oven tray with baking paper. Pre heat over to 180oC (160oC if using a fan forced oven).
Combine the oats, coconut flakes, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, flakes almonds, pepitas and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add the orange zest if using. Mix to combine.
Drizzle the rice malt syrup over your dry ingredients and mix together. It takes a little while and a bit of mixing to ensure the syrup is worked through the dry mixture.
In a separate bowl/mug, add the melted coconut oil and 4-6 drops of Wild Orange essential oil. Stir to combine and pour over your mixture. Work the oil through the mixture until well combined.
Spread mixture onto the baking tray and cook for 10 minutes, stir and continue cooking for another 10-15minutes. Keep an eye on the mixture as it can brown quickly.. you want it toasty brown.
Cool and store in an air tight container in the pantry.