Chocolate Hearts for Mum
Chocolate + essential oils = gooood!
I've had this little chocolate heart idea swirling in my head all week and finally set aside some time and made a batch this morning ready for Mother's Day this Sunday.
Basically, melt your chocolate, cool slightly, stir in essential oils, pour into moulds, set and then dip with white chocolate, decorate with all sorts of things and enjoy!
Here's what I used:
- Green & Black's Organic Chocolate from Coles.
- Nestle Plaistowe white chocolate in the baking aisle of the supermarket.
- Petite Hearts chocolate mould from Lyndey Milan which I found discounted to $5 at TJ Maxx! But any sort of chocolate mould will work! Like this Wilton one from Spotlight..
- Essential oils - Wild Orange and Peppermint. (I choose doTERRA essential oils - see why at the footnote of this post)
For decorating you could use the following:
- chopped pistachios, peanuts or almonds slivers
- edible flowers
- drizzled chocolate
- crushed candy canes
- Or push in a whole hazelnut when pouring your chocolate into the moulds for a nutty centre.
doTERRA essential oils are pure and potent so you only need 2-3 drops of essential oil to 100g of chocolate. Essential oils to consider when working with chocolate include Peppermint, Wild Orange, Lavender, Lime, Cardamom and Black Pepper.
Once the chocolate has set in the moulds, peel them out and lay onto baking paper. Decorate by drizzling on or dipping into white chocolate. Before the white chocolate sets, roll into chopped pistachios or crushed candy cane or sprinkle with edible flowers.
Once set, serve on a pretty plate and enjoy with an afternoon cuppa or package into cellophane bags for gift giving.
** If using essential oils as a food flavouring, always choose a 100% food grade pure essential oil. I choose doTERRA essential oils because basically, they're the best 100% pure, tested and trusted essential oils out there.
Happy Mother's Day