BLENDING | Getting started
Our essential oils work beautifully by themselves but are even more powerful and amazing when blended together. As far as the rules go for essential oil blending - THERE ARE NO RULES!!
Choose oils intuitively.
How do you want to feel today? Uplifted, focused, cheerful, confident, gentle, forgiving, powerful, protected, playful, spontaneous, passionate, resilient, loved or motivated?
What oils are you drawn to? I love standing in front of my box of oils and intuitively choosing oils. Crack open some of the bottles and inhale.. what oils are speaking to you?
TIP: If you are unsure what oils will smell like together, crack the lids on your chosen oils and hold them together under your nose. Sniff and see what they smell like together.
Some essential oils evaporate more quickly than others which is why some oils seem to dissipate within a short time when diffusing them and others hang around in the air a lot longer. As oils in your blend evaporate, the aroma will change.
Oils that evaporate the quickest are called TOP NOTES - mainly the citrus oils such as Bergamot, Wild Orange, Tangerine, Lemon and Grapefruit but also oils such as Peppermint, Spearmint and Lemongrass.
The MIDDLE NOTES are typically your flowers and leaves - for example: Geranium, Lavender, Rosemary, Jasmine, Tea Tree, Fennel, Juniper Berry etc.
And your BASE NOTES are our woods, roots, resins such as Frankincense, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Myrrh and Ginger.
When choosing a blend, you can consider including base, middle and top notes when choosing your oils which will help balance out the blend..
Theres plenty of resources out there to help you when it comes to diffuser blends Use Pinterest to search for different blends - keeping in mind that sometimes people can be a little heavy handed with their essential oil drop number so use your common sense and pare back any over the top drop suggestions. Less is more!
Consider using a diffuser blending app. I use https://www.diffuserblends.com/ which is a paid app but worth every cent (and theres a free trial to get you started before you commit). I like this because:
- they have an extensive data base
- you can search by oils or groups of oils.. feeling like a Ginger diffuser recipe.. choose Ginger and hello, up pops all the Ginger diffuser recipe blends to choose from.
- you can check the popularity of the blend by seeing how many people have given it the thumbs up.
- you can also save your fave blends for future reference
Other quick tips
- Keep a notebook of your fave blends - when you come across a blend that sparks your interest, jot it down! I certainly have my favourites that I come back to time and time again --> like the EMPOWER BLEND 2 drops each of Ginger, Patchouli and Wild Orange. Delicious.
- Less is more - start off with a few drops and when you feel more confident, increase the drops
- Have fun and experiment with the oils in your diffuser.
The main thing is to enjoy your diffuser - you can change your mood in an instant by choosing uplifting oils, you can support your immune or respiratory systems by choosing certain oils or you can help feel clear, focus and motivated.
How many drops to use? Check out my post here.